Friday, May 29, 2009

My Life on the Highlight Reel

This is something I have been pondering since last football season, but never sat down to put it into words.

My favorite part of Monday Night Football is watching Chris Berman count down the best plays from the previous Sunday. It's really the same for any sport I'm watching. I love the highlight reel. My favorite athlete of all time is Michael Jordan just because he was so consistently amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WmNHGA5jh8

So, I was thinking about my life and wondering how much of it would ever end up on anyone's highlight reel. I'm a pretty normal guy. There's not much to my day-to-day existence that would amaze anyone. I began feeling a little discouraged about not making a greater impact on the world around me. There is so much of me that wants to make a difference. Not really for the notoriety or fame, but mainly for the satisfaction of knowing I mattered.

Then, as often happens, my thoughts drifted towards GOD and the kinds of things he would put on His highlight reel. Faith. Love. Peace. Patience. Kindness. Self Control.

I have attempted to practice these things more often throughout my daily life. Not to impress the world around me, but to honor the GOD who saved me.  It's not always easy and I often fail - just ask anyone who knows me.  But it's a start and I hope to get better at it every day.  When I stand before GOD to be judged for this life, my prayer is that the video playback is more like a highlight reel than the nightly news.  I hope to win the race He set before me.

Why don't you join me?

4 comments:

Jen the Blog Mom said...

Excellent beginning, Ben. Face it. You're a writer.

Donna said...

Wonderful. I'll post a link from mine to yours if your post are going to be Christian based. That was beautifully written.

Joshua White said...

Deep thoughts with Ben Tune! Good stuff. I remember us having a very similar conversation on the men's camping trip. You have made an impact on the world around you, never doubt that, even if you don't always see it. I look forward to future posts!

Mark Spence said...

Great first post!

"I hope to get better at it every day." IMHO - you are and I have the same hope.

Mark